Today we will deal with a delicate topic, which is the death penalty. Capital punishment or the death penalty is a legal process whereby a person is put to death by the state as a punishment for a crime. The judicial decree that someone be punished in this manner is a death sentence, while the actual enforcement is an execution. Crimes that can result in a death penalty are known as capital crimes or capital offenses. So for today's class activities, besides the reading in the handout, we will watch a video, regarding death penalty. Watch the video and discuss with your partners and teacher the following questions:
- Is Death Penalty just or unjust?
- Death penalty is a crime deterrent?
- Is death penalty legal in your country?
- If not, should death penalty be legalized in your country?
- Do you think innocent people are unfairly judged with death penalty?